TUSITA HERMITAGE KUCHING, SARAWAK, MALAYSIA
There is no fire like the lust,
No distress like hatred,
No pain like the burden of attachment
No joy like the peace of liberation
(Dhammapada verses 202)
DHAMMA is the priceless gift from LORD BUDDHA. With the great support from the dedicated devotees with one heart and mind, Malaysia Dhamma Society (formerly known as Kuching Bhagavan Buddhist Society) has founded Tusita Hermitage (Tusita 1) in July 2008. Tusita 1 which consists of one unit of meditation hall, two blocks of hostel for monks and a dining place were completed within three months and in time to provide a place for Venerable U Mangala and bhikkhus to spend their vassa in July 2008 for the first time in Kuching.
Tusita Hermitage Kuching is situated at Sin San Tu off Jalan Matang – Batu Kawa which is about 10 to 15km from Kuching city. It is a peaceful, calm and quiet place where the residents are mainly Chinese community.
With the continuous and great support of devotees in terms of kind and monetary from locals, West Malaysia as well as international throughout the years, Tusita Hermitage Kuching is expanding speedily whereby Tusita 2 (nearby Tusita 1) which consists of one unit of multi -purpose hall (completed in 2011) and one block of hostel for monks (completed in 2011) and one unit of Sima Hall will be completed in August 2012 for Vassa . Also, in November 2011, we had completed a kuti for The Most Venerable Pa Auk Sayadaw in conjunction with Sayadaw’s visit to Kuching to bless Tusita Hermitage.
Tusita 2 is for monks and male devotees whereas Tusita I is meant for Sayalays and female devotees who wish to practise meditation.
For the past three years, rapid developments are undergoing along Jalan Matang-Batu Kawa in view of improving of social economic of State of Sarawak specifically and the stability of our country economic generally. Housing and commercial projects are mushrooming along the road leading to Tusita Hermitage. This has resulted some developers are negotiating with land owners should opportunity arises in order to acquire more lands around Sin San Tu areas for commercial development purpose.
One of our visions is to reserve lands and develop a forest monastery in the long run in line with Tusita Hermitage’s vision with an aim to provide a conducive environment for monks and nuns and lay people to practise meditation without much disturbances. Premised on the above, Malaysia Dhamma Society plans to acquire lands within our affordability nearby Tusita Hermitage for future expansion purposes as well as to reserve nearby lands from being developed for commercial purpose in the long run which might disturb the current peacefulness and serenity of Tusita Hermitage Kuching. In line with the above and coupled with the great support from devotees, we had acquired additional 1.5 acres of land in 2011 and 4 acres of land in Feb 2012.
Presently, the society is in the midst of negotiating a parcel of 8 acres land which is located behind Tusita 1. The deal is expected to be concluded within the year of 2012. At this moment, the plan is yet to materialize and depends very much on financial resources and on- going legal documentation.
Some of the proposed main construction /agricultural projects of Tusita Hermitage Kuching are as follows:-
- To construct one block of 3 storey hostel costs about RM700,000-00 to RM800,000-00to cope with the increasing numbers of students who are keen to learn and practise meditation. This hostel is mainly for female lay devotees at this planning stage. The construction has started in June 2012 with site clearing and building is expected to be completed within the year of 2012.
- To propose to construct more kutis for monks on the 8 acres of land to be purchased. This plan is yet to materialize.
- To propose to build a suitable place for devotee’s children to do some recreational activities every Sunday afternoon i.e. revision, learning Dhamma and etc while their parents could meditate at Tusita in the afternoon (after attended Chanting, Dhamma Talk and lunch dana in the morning) without worrying their children are left unattended. This will encourage devotees to spend more time in Tusita to cultivate wholesome deeds while their children are taking care off. This plan is yet to matierialize.
- To propose to develop an organic farming whereby Tusita is planning to grow organic vegetables for own use. In view of increasing number of people in Tusita, it is feasible to cultivate organic farming instead of sourcing organic vegetables from commercial outlets which is costly and the supply is uncertain. We had engaged a gardener in May 2012 for maintaining landscaping of Tusita Hermitage as well as to do some farming i.e. planting of fruit trees as per instruction given. Additional resources in terms of manpower and financial are needed to implement the proposed organic farming. We are yet to start on this project.
- To propose to build an old folk home (small scale basis) for senior devotees who wish to practise Dhamma for long term as well as for parents of monks and nuns who wish to practise Dhamma for long term. With the proposed facility provided, they will be taking care off in terms of food and medical if the need arises. This plan is yet to be implemented due to resources constraints.
- To propose provide a DHAMMA LIBRARY for the community in the long run provided resources are available. A proper building is needed in order to start DHAMMA LIBRARY project. This is yet to materialize due to resources constraints.
In year 2010, with the great support of devotees from Taiwan, proposal to construct Tusita Taiwan to support Venerable U Mangala’s mission to teach DHAMMA in Taiwan is initiated whereby few parcels of land with beautiful scenery in Tai Dong have been purchased. In March 2011, a group of Sangha lead by the Most Venerable Pa Auk Sayadaw had blessed the establishment of Sima hall in Tai Dong together with the presence of devotees to witness this auspicious ceremony. Presently, the Sangha are staying in a temporary kuti in Tai Dong. There are about 14 temporary kutis in Tai Dong.
The proper construction of Tusita Taiwan is scheduled to start by the end of year 2012 upon obtaining approval from relevant authority. The total cost for the whole project is estimated more than USD2million. The proposed main buildings for Tusita Taiwan are as follows:-
- One unit of Sima Hall;
- One unit of Meditation Hall;
- Two units of building for dining i.e. each for bhikkhus and Sayalays to take their alms food ;
- 80 units of kuti for Sangha.
The Himalaya is known to be a place where past Pacceka Buddhas and practising Bodhisattvas (future Buddhas) dwelled. Himalaya is a very auspicious and high energy place to practise meditation. In order to enable students to practice more efficiently under those supporting spiritual energy, with the hope that more students can succeed and help in Sasana works, Venerable U Mangala has indicated his idea to establish Tusita Nepal to his beloved teacher, The Most Venerable Pa Auk Sayadaw. The proposal to set up Tusita Nepal was consented by The Most Venerable Pa Auk Sayadaw.
With the great support of devotees from Singapore, our Most Venerable Pa Auk Sayadaw have blessed the establishment of Sima in Nepal on 28th Nov 2010 together with Bhantes and Sayalays. In December 2010, four Sayalays from Tusita Hermitage Kuching had a stay in the renovated village house (with very basic facilities) in Tusita Nepal to practise Dhamma for few weeks. With the completion of few kutis on the land acquired in 2011, a group of about 16 adults and 8 children had spent 3 weeks in Tusita Nepal around Nov – Dec 2011 for novitiate programme. Also, two Bhantes from Tusita Hermitage Kuching had spent two months self – retreat in Tusita Nepal from March 2012 to April 2012.
The proposed plans for Tusita Nepal are as follows :-
- To construct a kuti for our beloved teacher, The Most Venerable Pa Auk Sayadaw
- To construct a kuti for Mahathero Ariyadhamma
- To construct one unit of multi-purpose hall
Total costs for the above proposed item 1, 2, 3 above are estimated at USD70,000-00.
Presently, the construction of above buildings are yet to start.
Proposed Tusita Hermitage, Melaka Branch, Malaysia
With the support of lay devotees in Melaka, weekly meditation class is held every Saturday and Sunday evening since April 2012. The attendance is very encouraging. Thus, there is a plan to purchase suitable land and develop Tusita Hermitage Branch in Melaka but due to financial constraint and no suitable location found at this moment, this plan has been kept in abeyance until further notice. Presently, they are using a temple for sharing of Dhamma and practise meditation every Saturday and Sunday evening.
Let us all rejoice of all the projects as abovementioned. Let us with unshakable faith in TRIPLE GEM, work towards prolonging the DHAMMA in the world! SADHU ! SADHU! SADHU!
Dear Dhamma friends,
May you be well, happy and peaceful.
If you wish to support our Tusita Hermitage either Tusita Kuching, Tusita Nepal, Tusita Taiwan and the proposed Tusita Melaka , kindly channel your donations to the following bank:-
BANK NAME : HONG LEONG BANK BERHAD
BENEFICIARY : PERSATUAN DHAMMA MALAYSIA (KNOWN AS MALAYSIA DHAMMA SOCIETY)
ACCOUNT NO: 017-0018-3673
BANK ADDRESS: NO 42, JALAN PENDING, 93450 KUCHING SARAWAK
BANK’S SWIFT CODE:HLBBMYKL
(Our Bank does accept inward remittance in foreign currency i.e. US Dollar, Singapore Dollar , Renminbi (RMB), Hong Kong Dollar as well as others. An official receipt will be issued within 30 days from the bank account month end closing date of the current month that we received your donation. Please indicate to us if you require the official receipt on urgent basis.)
Please notify the following persons via SMS or email after you have performed the donations for issuance of receipts purpose:-
(1) Bro Ng Kam Loong (Tel:+6019-888-8722 )
(2) Sis Anne Tan (Tel:+6013-816-8723)
(3) Sis Angie Bong (Tel:+6012-886-7353)
Those who fail to value generosity, do not reach the celestial realms.
But the wise rejoice in giving, and forever abide in bliss
(Dhammapada verses 177)
SADHU! SADHU! SADHU!